Wednesday, June 16, 2010

This weekend = Kuala Lampur, Malaysia

Interesting day at work today. We had a lunch for all the attachment students. It turns out the director of BTI joined us and went through each of us and engaged in a short conversation. We basically introduced ourselves and reminded her of how we ended up at BTI. In addition she basically quizzed us on the project that we have been assigned. In the end, I think it was her way evaluating the lab mentors that we are working with and the types of projects we have been assigned. For example, two 17 yr olds that are in junior college are planning on studying history. For this course they have to or chose to get some research experience. When she probed them about the type of project they were doing she found that the project was not suitable and their background was not as deep as it should. For the students in our group it went well. After I talked to her about my project she informed me that industry pays researchers 30k to perform a zinc-finger nuclease deletion, which is what I am doing. Summer job next year? Not really. I am just working with someone who is doing this technique. I am being trained in it, but there is a lot of work that was done prior to my arrival that I am unsure of.

The pizza was from Pizza Hut. I guess that is the standard food choice at BTI for lunch meetings. It was definitely different from the US PH. I wasn't really in the zone for evaluating -- just hungry. I mean in comparison to Pizza Hut in the U.S. it was just a little off. The crust seemed like it was frozen at one point then re-baked.

Just booked a bus to KL from SG. It was 330 for 5 people round trip so about 65 bucks. No visa upon arrival so saving money there. It's a 5 hr bus ride so we are leaving at midnight on Fri night and returning at 430 on Sunday. We will arrive in the morning at KL and go to the top of this huge tower. This Austrian guy is advising us and said that it's very cool looking over the city in the early morning hours, and there are no crowds. We'll be booking the hotel tomorrow.

Last night we went to an awesome Indian place called Mr. Prata. We got 5 dishes and shared. I'll be posting the names of the dishes later so I don't forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment